The Ministry of Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) Canada notifies the World Trade Organization (WTO) of updates to their Radiocommunication Standards Specifications, including hearing aid compatibility (HAC).
The Radio Standards Specification (RSS-HAC), Hearing Aid Compatibility and Volume Control, sets out the compliance requirements for hearing aid compatibility and volume control features for specific radio apparatus.
The following amendment has been made to section 3.6 to include a reference to RSS-HAC, to be used in conjunction with applicable RSS(s):
- RSS-HAC shall be used in conjunction with the applicable RSS(s) listed on ISED’s Certification and Engineering Bureau website.
The list of RSS applicable to Hearing Aid Compatability and Volume Control are as follows:
- RSS-130: Equipment Operating in the Frequency Bands 617-652 MHz, 663-698MHz and 777-787 MHz (Issue 2, February 2019)
- RSS-132: Cellular Telephone Systems Operating in the Bands 824-849 MHz and 869-894 MHz (Issue 3, January 2013)
- RSS-133: 2 GHz Personal Communications Services (Issue 6, January 2013, Amendment January 2018)
- RSS-134: 900 MHz Narrowband Personal Communication Service (Issue 2, February 2016)
- RSS-139: Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) Equipment Operating in the Bands 1710-1780 MHz and 2110-2180 MHz (Issue 3, July 2015)
- RSS-195: Wireless Communication Service (WCS) Equipment Operating in the Bands 2305-2320 MHz and 2345-2360 MHz (Issue 2, April 2014)
- RSS-197: Wireless Broadband Access Equipment Operating in the Band 3650-3700 MHz (Issue 1, February 2010)
- RSS-199: Broadband Radio Service (BRS) Equipment Operating in the Band 2500-2690 MHz (Issue 3, December 2016)
The notification from the WTO includes updates to the following Radio Standard Specifications:
- RSS-GEN, Issue 5, Amendment 1, General Requirements for Compliance of Radio Apparatus sets out general and certification requirements for licensed and licence-exempt radio apparatus used for radiocommunication other than broadcasting.
- RSS-246, Issue 1, Ultra-Low Power (ULP) Wireless Medical Capsule Endoscopy Devices Operating in the 430-440 MHz Band sets out the certification requirements for licence-exempt ultra-low power wireless medical capsule endoscopy devices operating in the 430-440 MHz frequency band.
- RSS-HAC, Issue 1, Hearing Aid Compatibility and Volume Control sets out the compliance requirements for hearing aid compatibility and volume control features for specific radio apparatus.
You can read the full notification published by the WTO here.