The Bureau of Indian Standards provides answers to frequently asked questions to manufacturers regarding the implementation of revised guidelines for battery and cell standards.
Standards for which these FAQs pertain to:
- Nickel Systems: IS 16046(Part-1):2018/IEC 62133-1:2017
- Lithium Systems: IS 16046(Part-2):2018/ IEC 62133-2:2017
Some important responses by BIS are provided below:
- Q: If there is remaining battery/cell stock after the last date of implementation of the new standard, can they still be sold in India?
- A: If product has been imported to India before the last date of implementation, or manufactured by the domestic manufacturers before the last date of implementation, then the stock can be sold in India.
- Q: We are using batteries as a component in the manufacturing of our product. If the stock of our host product fitted with batteries as per IS 160465:2015 is not be exhausted by the last date of implementation, what can be done?
- A: Host products incorporating batteries manufactured as per IS 16046:2015 before the last date of implementation can be sold in the market.
- Q: We have obtained new registration number (Option A/Option B). What will be the status of our registration as per IS 16046:2015?
- A: Both registrations will run concurrently. However, registration as per IS 16046:2015 will be cancelled after the last date of implementation i.e. 14 March 2020.
- Q: When is the deadline BIS will accept new application/inclusion/renewal as per IS 16046:2015?
- A: New application/inclusion/renewal as per IS 16046:2015 will be accepted by BIS up until one month prior to the last date of implementation i.e. 14 Feb 2020.
For the full list of questions and answers, please refer to this document.