The Ethiopian Communications Authority (ECA) has been established as the regulatory authority for wireless and telecommunications services.
ECA was formed due to the decision to restruction the telecommunications framework and market landscape in Ethiopia to enhance the economic and social development of the country.
Its resonsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Issuing licenses in the communications services sector, including telecommunications, postal, and courier services, and supervise operators of communications service
- Specifying technical standards for the provision of communications service
- Regulating tariffs relating to communications service
- Regulating types of telecommunication equipment that may be connected to a telecommunication network
- Managing the use of Radio Frequency spectrum in Ethiopia
- Safeguarding the interest of consumers of communications service
- Promoting information security, data privacy and protection
- Monitoring the activities of licensees to ensure that communications services confirm to the specified standards of quality, and enforce compliance with the license terms and conditions as well as regulatory laws, regulations and directives
As of November 29, 2019 ECA has ended the consultation period regarding the licensing framework of the telecommunications sector, prior to the issuance of new telecommunication licenses.
The objectives of the Authority are to promote the development of high quality, efficient, reliable and affordable communications services throughout the nation, to promote a competitive market for the achievement of these goals, and to promote accessibility and interests of consumers.
Type approval certifications granted previously remain valid.