The Ministry of Transportation and Communication (MTC) of Peru implements the Emergency Early Warning System (SISMATE) to allow for sending free messages to cell phones to guide and alert the occurrence of an emergency.
The first phase of SISMATE implementation will take place at the beginning of 2020.
For this purpose, MTC has revised the certification rules for cellular/mobile products. The main changes are as follows:
- The mobile terminal equipment must provide a TAC certificate for MTC inspection when applying for a certificate. The product trademark and model on the TAC certificate will be reflected in the certificate.
- Smartphone devices must provide documents indicating that product supports SISMATE, and the corresponding information will be reflected in the certificate. (Resolucion Ministerial N 1163-2019/MINSA)
- For mobile terminal equipment that has been certified according to the old rules, the certificate will automatically expire on April 5th, 2020. If products need to be sold in the Peru market after this date, they need to comply with the new requirements.
These requirements are only applicable to consumer smart phone devices. The chief modification requires all smart phone devices entering Peru to have Cell Broadcast Service (CBS) enabled to receive warnings from the national Emergency Alert Early Messaging System (SISMATE).
What is SISMATE?
- It is a technological tool for dissemination of early warning messaging available to INDECI for disaster risk management, which allows creating and distributing alert messages to the population of a given area through cell phones, being complementary to other media Traditional broadcasts such as radio, television, etc.
How does SISMATE work?
- The MTC will contact operators to notify customers of a disaster.
- Notification will be sent through cell phones within the danger area.
- The alert is preventive to be able to safeguard the people during the natural disaster.
What is the function?
- To prevent damage and / or injuries in the majority of possible people
- Alert a disaster in a period sufficient to be able to act calmly and avoid tragedies.
In this way, the MTC reaffirms its commitment to forge a culture of prevention that safeguards life and guarantees preventive communication to citizens, to take action in the event of a disaster or emergency.