The National Telecommunications Agency (ANATEL) of Brazil are no longer using equipment categories for product classification but by different product types.
Previously, products were classified by equipment categories (Category I, II, or III). All equipment applying for homologation are now to be classified by product type.
The different product types organizes equipment into groups and considers the technical similarities of the products, as well as the use conditions and applications.
Different product types will also have differing periods of certification validity ranging from 1 - 3 years, or permanent validity.
Here is the full list of product family types:
- Coaxial Cables
- Optical cables and fiber optics
- Data transmission cables
- Telephone cables
- Mobile phone chargers and lithium batteries
- Inductive cards for public phones
- Switching centers
- Broadcasting equipment
- RF equipment (except broadcasting equipment)
- Passive optical equipment
- Data communication equipment
- Terminal equipment
- IP terminal equipment (wired and wireless)
- Telephone wires
- Protective modules
- Digital multiplex
- Rectifier systems
- Rectifier units
Equipment using the amateur radio, citizen band radio, aeronautical and maritime (VHF) mobile services may be approved though declaration of conformity per established guidelines.
ANATEL approvals are now based on 3 main certification schemes:
- Certification based on testing.
- Certification based on testing with periodic product evaluation.
- Certification based on testing with periodic product and factory management system evaluation.
The approval scheme used will depend on which product type classification the equipment is covered under.