The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) has published draft equipment authorization regulations, also referred to as Type Approval regulations.
The draft regulations were published on March 21, 2021 in Government Gazette number 44371. The closing date for comments is April 30, 2021.
The purpose of these regulations is to:
- Streamline the equipment authorisation process in accordance with the ECA
- Protect the integrity of the electronic communications networks
- Ensure proper functioning of connected electronic communications equipment, electronic communications facilities and subscriber equipment
- Ensure interoperability, interconnectability and harmonisation
- Avoid harmful interference with the electronic communications network by prescribing electronic communications equipment, electronic communications facilities and subscriber equipment conformance requirements.
Any electronic communications equipment, electronic communications facility or subscriber equipment used or to be used in connection with the provision of electronic communications, unless explicitly exempted by the Authority, is subject to equipment authorisation by the Authority. The draft regulations also specify the type of equipment that does not require authorization.